All parts of the tulip plant contain toxins that can cause gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, and, in some cases, more severe symptoms like difficulty breathing or an increased heart rate.
Daffodil bulbs, in particular, contain toxic alkaloids that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even cardiac arrhythmias if consumed by dogs.
This fragrant spring flower contains cardiac glycosides that can cause symptoms like vomiting, irregular heartbeat, and in severe cases, even seizures or coma.
These popular flowering shrubs contain toxins called grayanotoxins. Ingestion can result in vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, weakness, and potentially more severe effects on the cardiovascular and nervous systems.
Hyacinth bulbs contain similar toxins to tulips, which can lead to gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea, if a dog consumes them.
Various species of lilies, such as Easter lilies, tiger lilies, and daylilies, are highly toxic to dogs. Even ingesting small amounts of the plant or its pollen can cause kidney failure in dogs, which can be life-threatening.
Although it's more commonly found in warmer regions, oleander can be present in some gardens during spring. All parts of the plant contain toxins that can affect the heart, leading to symptoms like drooling, vomiting, and irregular heartbeat.
While not a flowering plant, the Sago palm is often used in landscaping. It contains toxins called cycasin, which primarily affects the liver and can lead to liver failure if ingested by dogs.